Duration: 9.5 minutes
Players: (2) Alto Saxophone + Percussion
(commissioned by Andrew Gaffey)
About “Age Of Fire”
“AGE OF FIRE” is a duet for alto saxophone and percussion (vibraphone + bass drum/large floor tom).
Musically, “AGE OF FIRE” is inspired by the epic music of Rush, Greta Van Fleet, Yes, and Led Zeppelin.
Thematically, “AGE OF FIRE” is organized in seven movements that draw from the structures of “the hero’s journey” and other ancient folk tales.
- Prologue [1:00]
- The Odyssey, Chapter I [2:10]
- The Oracle [1:10]
- The Odyssey, Chapter II [1:05]
- The Prophecy [0:50]
- Battle Royale [2:05]
- Epilogue [1:20]
All movements are intended to be performed attaca. If brief pauses between movements are desired, the recommended locations for such pauses are…
- between “II. The Odyssey, Chapter I” + “III. The Oracle”
- between “VI. Battle Royale” + “VII. The Epilogue”
- between “III. The Oracle” + “IV. The Odyssey, Chapter II”